Dentists located in Carmel, NY & Yorktown Heights, NY
Does the thought of a dental procedure fill you with anxiety and worry, or have you delayed important dental care simply because you’re anxious or scared? If this sounds like you, the team at Rifkin Dental in Yorktown Heights and Carmel, New York, offers sedation dentistry services. Through sedation dentistry, you get the sedative needed for relaxation as well as anesthesia to prevent pain. Call the office or schedule an appointment online today to learn more.
Sedation Dentistry Q & A
What is Sedation Dentistry?
Sedation dentistry is an option for patients who experience dental anxiety or fear. Sedative medications help you relax or even doze through the procedure, depending on the type of sedation. Rifkin Dental offers only safe and effective sedation options.
What are the Different Options for Sedation?
Rifkin Dental offers conscious sedation, which can take a few different forms depending on your needs:
- Oral Medication: With oral medication, you take prescription medicine shortly before your procedure. You'll usually be awake but relaxed and able to communicate with your dentist if needed during the procedure. Many patients have no memory of their procedure after conscious sedation with oral medication.
- IV Sedation: IV sedation, which is administered monitored by a licensed anesthesiologist, delivers your medication intravenously instead of orally. IV sedation is stronger than oral sedation, so it's usually best reserved for extreme dental anxiety. IV sedation patients, like oral sedation patients, often have no memory of their dental procedure.
Both of these conscious sedation options are safe and effective. Best of all, you'll recover quickly once your procedure is over. However, remember to arrange for someone to drive you home afterward since you might be a little groggy for a while.
Am I a Good Candidate for Sedation Dentistry?
If you worry about seeing the dentist or experience anxiety when you even think about dental visits, sedation dentistry might be right for you. Many patients even delay necessary dental care because they're too anxious or scared. If you fall into that category, sedation dentistry may be the answer.
You may also be a good candidate for sedation dentistry if you:
- Have a severe gag reflex
- Can't get adequately numbing using anesthesia
- Have highly sensitive teeth
- Had a bad dental experience in the past
Sedation dentistry is a safe option that helps many fearful dental patients get the care they need.
How Can I Prepare for Sedation Dentistry?
The team at Rifkin Dental team gives you preparation guidelines before your appointment. This usually includes:
- No alcohol for at least a day before your procedure
- No food or liquid for 8-12 hours before your procedure
- No smoking for at least a day before your procedure
It’s important to follow all instructions closely to ensure a safe and successful procedure.
To learn more about the benefits of sedation dentistry and the options available to you, call Rifkin Dental or schedule an appointment online today.
Oral Surgerymore info
Crowns & Bridgesmore info
Preventive Dentistrymore info
Dental Cleaningsmore info
Root Canalsmore info
Sedation Dentistrymore info
Dental Implantsmore info
Emergency Dentistrymore info
Teeth Whiteningmore info
Night & Snore Guardsmore info
Digital Dentistrymore info
Pediatric Dentistrymore info