Whitening your teeth is an easy and straightforward way of brightening your entire smile. Whether you have a big event coming up or you’re simply looking for a confidence boost, you’d be amazed how white teeth can make a difference. White teeth bring out the whites in your eyes, which can make a world of difference.
There are many types of teeth whitening, such as buying strips from a convenient store or booking appointments for whitening light. At Rifkin Dental, we make sure your teeth are comfortable throughout the whitening process. Whitening can cause temporary but considerable teeth sensitivity when done incorrectly, which is why many experience pain or discomfort after trying to whiten their teeth by themselves or using a whitening light LED gun.
The ingredients in strips or store-bought whitening agents are also iffy, and may not whiten your teeth in the way you’re hoping for.
The Teeth Whitening Process
Your decision to whiten your teeth is all personal preference. Some of our clients like to do it in advance of a big day like their wedding, and some have simply noticed a yellowish discoloration to their teeth that they would prefer to have fixed. Whatever your reasoning is, Rifkin Dental is happy to help. Here is our teeth whitening process.
- First, we take molds of your mouth to create custom whitening trays. This ensures that every part of the surface area of your teeth is accounted for during the whitening process, and that the safe whitening agent we use will reach every crevice of your teeth evenly.
- Once your trays are ready, we give you the whitening gel so you can complete your whitening sessions at home. This part is very straightforward. Simply line the whitening trays with the gel, then place the trays onto your teeth for thirty minutes everyday for a week. These smaller sessions of whitening protect your teeth from sensitivity.
- We recommend brushing your teeth first, and passing the time by reading a good book or watching a show. The best time to do this is usually when you’re winding down for the evening, such as after dinner and before bed.
- That’s it! You’ll be amazed at how much whiter your teeth look in just a week.
Keeping Up Your Pearly White Smile
After you’ve easily achieved the white smile you desire, it’s important to be cognizant of the food and drinks that can harm the integrity of the color. These are likely the same foods and drinks that yellowed your teeth to begin with. Be extra conscious of:
- Red wine
- Coffee, tea, or espresso
- Juices such as grape juice that are darker or more vibrant in color
- Tobacco products (which includes both cigarettes and chewing tobacco)
- Dark colored sodas
- Foods that have been tinted by food coloring
If you can’t resist your morning cup of coffee or a nice glass of Cabernet with dinner (We don’t blame you!), just make sure to rinse with water in between sips, or directly after drinking. This will wash away any residue that can discolor your teeth.
To schedule your teeth whitening initial appointment, call our office.