When you hear the words “porcelain veneers,” you’re probably thinking about how they would improve the look of your smile. But there’s more to veneers than meets the eye.
These ultra-thin but durable teeth coatings do double-duty as both smile beautifiers and problem fixers. They not only hide imperfections in your teeth but also provide side benefits.
Here’s how they work and what they can do for you.
How do porcelain veneers work?
Veneers are ingenious devices, actually. They correct problems that affect how your teeth look, like chips, cracks, discoloration, excessive wear and tear, and gaps between teeth. Their sturdy, protective material safeguards teeth just as your natural enamel does — often 10 years or more.
Although veneers are one of cosmetic dentistry’s go-to solutions to camouflage smile flaws, they have practical advantages, too.
What can dental veneers do besides improving my smile?
If you’re considering veneers, it’s important to know that they deliver benefits that are more than just skin-deep:
- Applying veneers requires less tooth reshaping and enamel removal than a crown procedure does, so it’s less time-consuming and invasive, which means less stress for you
- They’re long-lasting; once the procedure is complete, you don’t have to return to our office for a follow-up or endure post-procedure downtime and discomfort
- Since veneers provide coverage for tooth problems that might leave you vulnerable to infection and other health problems, they offer good preventive care
- Knowing that your teeth’s vulnerable spots are protected means one less thing to worry about, and who doesn’t love that?
- Even the cosmetic benefits that veneers provide can have a ripple effect on your overall mood and sense of self-confidence
Are veneers the right choice for me?
At Rifkin Dental, our team makes sure that our patients know that if you opt for veneers, they’re permanent.
One of the traits that our patients appreciate most about us is that we never rush you into anything before reviewing all the pros and cons associated with the procedure.
Rest assured that he will take the time to answer any questions you may have and to make sure that you are a good candidate for dental veneers.
What’s the procedure for getting veneers?
If you and our team decide that porcelain veneers are the way to go, we preps your teeth by removing a tiny amount of your tooth enamel and taking impressions of your teeth.
A lab creates your veneers to fit your mouth perfectly. Then we can apply them:
- First, we clean your teeth thoroughly
- We make slight changes to perfect the fit
- We use adhesive to carefully attach the veneer to your tooth
- A specially designed light triggers the adhesive to work
You’ll be amazed by the results, even beyond the cosmetic. If you take special care to continue good oral hygiene practices, you can extend the life of your veneers.
Schedule a consultation today
No one is more invested in your dental health than the entire Rifkin Dental team. Our team not only prepared to apply your veneers with an expert hand, but to fully explain the reasons why you may be a candidate for them.
Take the first step and schedule an appointment to discuss whether you’d be a good candidate for veneers. Simply give our Yorktown Heights or Carmel, New York office a call to book an appointment today.